For grade 11
1.Put a circle ariund the word that does not go with the others
1.hamburger, lobster, steak, bowl
2.economical, expensive, high-priced, best
3.wedding, advice, altar, honeymoon
4. catcher, fielder, driver, pithcer
5.definite, certain, sure, possible
2. Choose the proper word
The book is cheap and vulgar. It makes you ill . 2. A sick child was taken to hospital and immediately operated on. 3. Fred would hardly eat anything. The very sight of food made him sick . 4. ‘If you are ill , you had better stay in bed.» 5. He was sick and tired of the job and made up his mind to quit. 6. »If a trip by air makes you air …, let’s go by train».
3.Fill the gaps with the correct prepositions.
1. Would you like to go at/in/to the cinema tonight?.
Would you like to go to the cinema tonight?.
2. No, thanks. I was at/in/to to the cinema yesterday.
No, thanks. I was at the cinema yesterday.
3. We are going in/on/to holiday next week.
We are going on holiday next week.
4. There is a bridge across/through/outside the river.
There is a bridge across the river.
5. The flight from Leipzig to London was about/along/via Frankfurt.
The flight from Leipzig to London was along via Frankfurt.
6. At/On/On to my wall, there are many picture postcards.
On my wall, there are many picture postcards.
7. Who is the person at/in/on this picture?
Who is the person in this picture?
8. Come at/in/in to the sitting room, we want to watch TV.
Come into the sitting room, we want to watch TV.
9. Munich lies 530 meters above/across/past sea level.
Munich lies 530 meters above past sea level.
10. At/In/On the picture, there are four people.
In the picture, there are four people.
11. A couple is sitting at/on/under the table.
A couple is sitting at the table.
12. They are sitting at/on/under chairs.
They are sitting on chairs.
13. The drinks are at/on/under the table.
The drinks are on the table.
14. One woman is standin behind/in front of the table.
One woman is standing in front of the table.
4. Write the Passive form of the sentences.
1.the documents / print
The documents were printed
2.the window / open
The window was open
3.the shoes / buy
The shoes were bought
4.the car / wash
The car was washed
5.the litter / throw away
The litter was thrown away
6.the letter / send
The letter was sent
7.the book / read / not
The book wasn’t read
8.the songs / sing / not
The songs weren’t sung
9.the food / eat / not
The food wasn’t eaten
10.the shop / close / not
The shop wasn’t closed
John collects money. — John was collected money
Anna opened the window. — Anna has opened the window
We have done our homework. — We were done our homework
I will ask a question. — I was asked a question
He can cut out the picture. — He was cut out the picture
The sheep ate a lot. — The sheep was eaten a lot
We do not clean our rooms. —
William will not repair the car. — William hasn’t repaired the car
Did Sue draw this circle? — Was Sue drawn this circle?
Could you feed the dog? — Were you fed the dog?
1. Rachel will give you some advice.
→ Rachel was given you some advice
2. I sent him a letter.
→ I have sent him a letter.
3. The police officer showed us the way.
→ The police officer was shown us the way
4. Our neighbour gave me a lift.
→ Our neighbour has given me a lift.
5. We have asked him for a favour.
6. She told me a lie.
→ She was told me a lie.
7. They have written her a postcard.
→ They were written her a postcard
8. Kerrie will make you a cup of tea.
→ Karrie has made you a cup of tea.
9. The waiter has not brought us the coffee.
→ The waiter wasn’t brought us the coffee.
10. They did not offer her a seat.
They weren’t offered her a seat.